DIRECT SCHOOL ADMISSION (DSA)
Direct School Admission (DSA) is an MOE initiative designed to give selected schools greater flexibility in student admission, so that a more diverse range of student achievements and talents can be recognised.
In April 2008, MOE approved the school’s application for niche development in the area of Symphonic Band. Since then, Ang Mo Kio Secondary School (AMKSS) has been offering discretionary admission to talented band pupils who displayed the passion for band music. With the introduction of the Learning for Life Programme (LLP) in Arts Education, AMKSS has offered DSA places for a wider range of performing arts from 2017. For admission to the school in 2020, we will be broadening our DSA offerings to include the area of Sports. Up to 20% of the Secondary One vacancies will be offered for DSA places for Band, Choir, Modern Dance, Malay Dance, Drama, Badminton and Volleyball.
In line with the school's belief to provide a balanced and holistic education, the Co-Curricular Programmes have been designed to allow our students to experience an enriching learning journey over the four years in school, and to challenge each member to attain greater heights in their chosen interest/talent area in performing arts or sports.
|AMKSS SYMPHONIC BAND|
Ang Mo Kio Secondary School Symphonic Band was first founded in the 1980s as a military band. It was converted to a symphonic band in 2001 and has a current strength of over 100 members. The Band has achieved Gold Awards and Certificates of Distinction for consecutive SYF Arts Presentation since 2005 and is currently led by conductors Mr Sebastian Koh and Mr Desmond Chow.
Over the years, the band has enthralled the public with different genres of music catering to different audiences at various performance venues such as Esplanade Concert Hall and Victoria Concert Hall, as well as Singapore Botanic Gardens. In 2018, the Band collaborated with NParks to bring arts to the community by performing at the Gardens by the Bay for the Singapore Garden Festival and also at Artists’ Night Out at Dhoby Ghaut Green during the Singapore Night Festival. In addition, the Band had the privilege to perform at Istana during the National Day Open House in 2017.
Our comprehensive band programme aims to instil a passion for music-making in every member and inculcate lifelong learning in music appreciation. Besides acquiring the skills of playing an instrument, all band members will undergo music theory lessons such that they complement the learning and playing of band music. Our programme also seeks to provide band members with an enriching band experience through concerts, public performances, band exchanges with foreign school bands and appreciating music in general to encourage lifelong learning in arts.
|• Relevant instrumental skills in primary school bands and string ensembles
• Pass selection test and panel interview.
• Applicants are required to play at least 1 major scale on their instrument.
• Applicants are required to prepare and play a piece of their choice.
● He/she will also be given a piece of Sec 1 music to sight-read.
* Applicants must bring their own instrument for the audition. Only percussion instruments will be provided by the school
* Applicants are reminded to bring along their choice piece of music.
Ang Mo Kio Secondary School Chorale has a current strength of about 50 dedicated members, comprising Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. Helmed by talented chorister-conductor, Ms Pua Beng Hoon Susanna, the choir achieved a Certificate of Distinction and Certificate of Accomplishment in SYF Arts Presentations in the years 2015 and 2017 respectively.
To hone our students’ vocal and public presentation skills, the choir performs in public, participates in choral exchanges with other schools and attends vocal workshops, master classes and concerts every year. Theory sessions based on the ABRSM syllabus are also carried out for the choir members to better equip them with knowledge and versatility in music.
The Choir showcases its talents at various school performances such as Awards Day, AMKsian Showcase and our school’s biennial event, the Night of Music, Arts and Dance (NOMAD). In the years 2015 and 2016, we had joint concert performances, “The Reason We Sing” and “The Reason We Sing II” respectively, with other school choirs at public venues and subsequently participated in the Voices of Singapore Festival at CHIJmes till this year of 2019.
Besides singing, AMKSS Chorale organises activities to instill, develop and promote self-discipline, teamwork, confidence and commitment in our choristers. Every chorister has a responsibility to serve both the Chorale and the community; as led by the Chorale's Executive Committee based on our philosophy that every AMKSian Chorister "Always Strives For The Best - to Sing, to Share and to Serve".
|• Pass an interview and an Audition. The following will be tested:
• Tone of voice
• Solfege singing
• Performance of a song of the candidate’s choice (max 2min)
• Representation in SYF Arts Choral Presentation or representation in international choral festival competitions.
• Music theory background (at least a grade 3 will be preferable)
• Member of school choir
|AMKSS DANCE CLUB
The Dance Club specialises in 2 broad categories of dance, namely Modern and Malay Dance. Two external instructors, who are professionally-trained dancers, train the two dance groups in the technical and artistic aspects of the dance. Through our yearly Dance auditions conducted at the start of the year, we hope to recruit members who are passionate about dance and are committed to undergo rigorous training to build on their flexibility, physical strength and stamina.
The Modern Dance group achieved the Certificate of Distinction in 2015 and the Certificate of Accomplishment in 2017 at the Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Arts Presentation. The group also had the honour of performing for the SYF Opening Concert at Esplanade in 2016. The Malay Dance group achieved the Certificate of Distinction at the SYF in 2015 and 2017.
Through our Dance camps and Dance Exchange Programme, we give our students opportunities to learn from other instructors as well as dancers from other schools. These programmes help build confidence in our students when performing on stage.
Dancers who display exceptional talent and leadership will also be shortlisted and identified to attend various leadership and dance talent programmes organised by MOE Arts Education Branch (AEB). Some of the key programmes include the Dance Talent Development Programme and the Youth Dance Camp. These programmes nurture young dance enthusiasts by bringing them together as a community and giving them the opportunity to interact with local dance artists and choreographers.
|AMKSS Modern Dance|
|• All applicants will be required to prepare a solo piece of not more than 2 minutes. Applicants may choose to perform a piece from any dance genre. E.g. ballet, contemporary, jazz, street, lyrical, swing, tap, hip-hop, fusion
• In the second segment, shortlisted applicants will then be invited to follow our resident choreographer through a short piece of choreography,
• Shortlisted applicants after the second segment will have to undergo an interview.
• Grade 5 in Ballet from the Royal Academy of Dance or Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dance
• Member of a dance club in primary school
• Representation in SYF Arts Presentation / Accomplishment at National level
* All applicants should audition in the dance gear and footwear suitable to their dance genre for the first segment.
* For the 1st segment of the audition, applicants are required bring their own music to accompany the dance. Audio can be played through mobile phone. Props are allowed if necessary.
* For the second segment of the audition, applicants are required to be in leotards and tights for girls; and T-shirt and track pants for boys.
|• All applicants will be required to prepare a solo piece of not more than 2 minutes. Applicants may choose to perform a piece from any of the 5 basic Malay dance genre. E.g. Inang, Asli, Joget, Zapin, Masri
• In the second segment, shortlisted applicants will then be invited to follow our resident choreographer through a short piece of choreography
• Shortlisted applicants after the second segment will have to undergo an interview. Member of a dance club in primary school
• Representation in SYF Arts Presentation / Accomplishment at National level
* All applicants should audition in a school-based t-shirt and long track pants.
* For the 1st segment of the audition, applicants are required to bring their own music to accompany the dance. Audio can be played through mobile phone. Props are allowed if necessary.
AMKSS DRAMA CLUB
The Drama Club strives to develop professionalism in our members through different forms of theatre performances and giving every member opportunities to participate in drama performances in various roles. Members learn useful acting skills and develop stage awareness, as well as to improvise, think creatively and work together as a team to put up short performances. Our members are also encouraged to take turns leading the warm-up sessions and games. Through these activities, Drama Club members build up their confidence and develop leadership skills.
In the Singapore Youth Festival (SYF) Arts Presentation 2017, our Drama Club achieved the Certificate of Distinction. From 2016 to 2018, the Drama Club also participated in re:ACT, a Theatre for Social Advocacy project created by inwardBOUND in partnership with different charity organisations which cumulated into a performance where different secondary schools represented each charity's cause.
> Acting & Characterisation
> Stage Presence
Badminton – referred to by some as ‘The Fastest Racquet Sport in the World’ – requires agility, power, mental and physical prowess as well as endurance. Badminton places tremendous demands on those who practice the sport.
Ang Mo Kio Secondary School has made a name for herself in this tough but satisfying sport which hones delicate wrist-work skills, nimble footwork and perseverance. Team AMKSS trains thrice a week in order to help the students build badminton skills as well as their grit and persistence in getting things right.
In 2018, we continued our tradition of making our presence felt as our B Division Boys and Girls fought hard to clinch Third position for both boys and girls in the South Zone Interschool Badminton Tournament. In addition, we participated in the Wee Kim Wee Cup where our U-17 girls’ team won 2nd runner-up.
Team AMKSS seeks opportunities that enable our players and leaders to plan, organize and implement a variety of programmes to benefit both the school and community. Annually, we organize a primary school badminton competition, the “AMKSS Invitational”, to promote the sport, encourage friendly sparring and help raise the standards of the sport amongst primary school students. In addition, players assist in the coaching of students in Ang Mo Kio and Townsville Primary Schools as part of our partnership and outreach efforts with our community.
Ang Mo Kio’s Volleyball Team was established in 1999 and has grown from strength to strength over the 20 years. This year, our Volleyball B Girls finished first runners-up while our B Boys finished third runners-up at the South Zone Volleyball Championships. The Team has consistently punched above its weight at the South Zone and National competitions, finishing among the top schools in both competitions. Our teams are currently coached by Mr Teo Kee Theng. Over the years, the Team has produced talented individuals who went on to don National colours and represent the country. Recently, one of our girls, Seah Yun Zhen Desiree was selected to represent Singapore at the 2018 ASEAN Schools Games, while our alumni, Alicia Tan Kai Yun (2017) represented Singapore at the Asian U19 Beach Volleyball Championships in Thailand.
Our Volleyball programme aims to develop and sustain our students’ skills, passion and interest in Volleyball. We also strive to achieve sustained excellence in zonal and national competitions. And most importantly, we are driven to inculcate values such as teamwork, discipline and resilience in them.
|Badminton & Volleyball|
|School team players or its equivalent in primary school|
> Applicants must display necessary game specific skills (Technique, agility, speed) required for the chosen sport.
> Applicants must also display tactical awareness in game situations.
Students admitted through the DSA exercise must remain in the niche area throughout their 4 or 5 years in the school, and must continue to show commitment and passion in their respective CCAs.
1. All applications will be done via the DSA-Sec Portal.
2. The application period is from 8 May- 4 June 2019. Applicants will access the portal via their parent’s SingPass.
3. Only shortlisted applicants who meet our selection criteria will be informed by 17 July 2019 to attend the selection test and interview on 26 July 2019, between 2.30pm - 6pm. Applicants who are not shortlisted will not be informed that they are unsuccessful in their application.
4. All applicants selected for the selection/auditions will be notified of their application status by 30 August 2019.
5. Students admitted through the DSA exercise must remain in the niche area throughout their 4 or 5 years in the school, and must continue to show commitment and passion in their respective CCAs.
6. For any enquiries, please contact the Administration Manager, Ms Leona Cheong at 64548605 Ext 803 or Leona_CHEONG@schools.gov.sg.